DEERFIELD ASSOCIATES Executive Search, Inc. has been retained by The Fessenden School, located in West Newton, Massachusetts, to conduct a national search for a
Director of Development.
The Fessenden School, an all-boys, independent day and boarding school with approximately 525 students in Pre-K through Grade 9, seeks a motivated and experienced Director of Development to play an integral role in an upcoming capital campaign. This person will have a portfolio of up to 100 prospects which will include both alumni and parents. The new hire will be responsible for building relationships with these prospects and developing strategies to cultivate, solicit, and close capital gifts from donors at the $50,000+ level as a part of a $32-35M comprehensive campaign, of which the Advancement team has raised more than $14M to date. The current endowment is approximately $45 million dollars.
The Director of Development will report to the Director of Institutional Advancement and will help lead a collaborative and hard-working fundraising team. S/he will manage the Director of Annual and Capital Programs and the Director of Alumni Engagement and Development. In addition to managing these two direct reports, s/he will also work closely with the Headmaster, the entire 9-person Advancement Office, the senior administration, and high-level volunteers including trustees, campaign committee members, the Institutional Advancement Committee of the Board, and a team of Annual Fund solicitors.
This is a new position that was added as the School embarks upon the largest campaign in its history. The most recent campaign concluded in 2012, and raised $25M for endowment and the Annual Fund. The Advancement Office has been quietly raising funds for the next campaign for the last 2 years and, to date, has successfully funded turf fields and an innovation lab. The remaining components of this new campaign will include new squash courts, a major arts facility renovation and addition, and a $1.8M Annual Fund. Ultimately, we will seek to raise $32-35M within a 5-6 year period to achieve the priorities identified in the School’s 2013 strategic plan. There are currently 4,800 Alumni with whom the School is in contact. Please visit www.fessenden.org.
- Formulate tailored strategies to cultivate, solicit, and steward a targeted portfolio of donors and prospects.
- Oversee the portfolio development and progress of the Director of Annual and Capital Programs and Director of Alumni Engagement and Development.
- Work with the Director of Advancement Operations to:
- manage the campaign prospect pipeline, including a donor tracking system and fundraising progress reports;
- assist with coordination of campaign leadership volunteer activity, and advancement subcommittee of the Board including preparation of agendas, briefing memos, remarks, and other materials;
- assist with the development of solicitation materials (letters, proposals, etc.) to support the Headmaster, Director of Institutional Advancement and/or volunteer solicitors.
- Working with the Director of Institutional Advancement, identify areas of opportunity and establish cultivation and solicitation plans to leverage those opportunities.
- Guide and implement a multi-year, multi-media campaign communications plan including overseeing outside vendors and utilizing internal resources as needed.
- Oversee the Director of Annual and Capital Programs to ensure that we meet or exceed the Annual Fund goals set as a part of the comprehensive campaign, as well as the Director of Alumni Engagement and Development in an effort to grow giving from alumni to this campaign; Establish specific goals for the Annual Giving and Alumni Engagement programs and work with the Directors of each program to ensure effective planning and implementation.
- Formulate a system of metrics and strategy for measuring progress toward team and individual goals and evaluating overall performance.
- Develop a working knowledge of all aspects of the Fessenden School, including its mission, history, vision, educational program, community, and funding priorities and strategic initiatives, in order to articulate a compelling case for support to all constituents.
The successful candidate will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and 8+ years of professional and progressive experience in development, including proven success soliciting and closing 5- and 6-figure gifts
- 3+ years of management experience demonstrating the ability to lead and mentor staff, establish goals, and manage performance
- Knowledge of “best practice” development/fundraising, particularly in building pipelines and development programs, and the ability to apply them in innovative ways
- Strong aptitude for data, metrics/performance goals, and deliverables
- Solid work ethic and a tremendous amount of initiative and drive with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Excellent judgement and a high level of integrity
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including warmth, a sense of humor, and confidence, and a highly collaborative approach in work both internally and externally
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills, including the ability to prioritize and manage simultaneous projects with excellent attention to detail and follow-through
- Experience using Raiser’s Edge or a similar database, as well as Google Drive
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work weekends and evenings and travel, as needed
- An appreciation for elementary and middle school education, especially all-boys’ education
The Fessenden School’s Benefits
The Fessenden School offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a generous benefits package including a retirement plan, paid vacations, medical, disability, and life insurance, and 90% tuition remission for boys who are admitted to our school and boys and girls who attend our co-ed summer camps.
The position offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, and a positive, team-oriented work environment. It also offers a development professional the opportunity to support an institution with a compelling case, a committed constituency, and a track record of success.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Fessenden School believes that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, ancestry, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local anti-discrimination laws. The School’s equal employment opportunity practices extend to recruitment, hiring, selection, compensation, benefits, transfer, conditions, and privileges of employment.
To explore this superb career opportunity on a highly confidential basis please send your resume and cover letter to: Doug Cooney, Executive Search Consultant, DEERFIELD ASSOCIATES Executive Search, Inc. 572 Washington Street, Suite 15, Wellesley, MA 02482 Telephone: 781-237-2800. Email: email@example.com